12 Facts That You Didn’t Know About the Party Leaders
1) Stephen Harper is fond of sweaters, but he can only wear synthetic blends because of a wool allergy.
2) Justin Trudeau portrayed Talbot Mercer Papineau, a distant relative, in the CBC television movie The Great War. During the production, he dressed in period fashions and would only respond to others as Major Papineau
3) Tom Mulcair’s favourite hockey team is the Montreal Canadiens. However, he only watches their games in English because he dislikes the RDS/TVA commentary.
4) Stephen Harper’s favourite brand of cat food is Fancy Feast.
5) Justin Trudeau handed out exactly seven detentions while teaching at Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School in Vancouver.
6) Tom Mulcair grew his famous beard to hide a scar on his chin suffered while working as a roofer on his summers off from McGill.
7) Stephen Harper participated in the quiz program Reach for the Top as a high school student at Richview Collegiate in Etobicoke. Harper’s team was defeated 445-160 by Vincent Massey Collegiate, and he has vowed to never visit that school on an official capacity.
8) Justin Trudeau regularly watches The Americans and has recently been catching up on Narcos. He has also developed a liking for the new series Scream Queens because his wife insists on watching it.
9) Tom Mulcair once dressed up as Commander Riker for a Star Trek-themed caucus group costume. Jack Layton was Captain Picard.
10) To prepare for his charity boxing match against Patrick Brazeau, Justin Trudeau watched the award-winning documentary When We Were Kings and shadow-boxed between committee meetings.
11) Stephen Harper and Justin Trudeau use the same barber in Ottawa. Mulcair does not because she charges more than he is comfortable with for beard trims.
12) Tom Mulcair is a dual citizen of Canada and France. If he becomes Prime Minister, he becomes the first Prime Minister to have dual citizenship with a non-English-speaking country.
Jason Liang is De Minimis editor for Juris Diction. He is in 2L.